To be completely cliché: It’s hard to believe that January is over already. But, somehow, it is, and with the end of January comes the first of my goal check-ins.
I’m writing this check-in with a bit of a caveat. I spent a large portion of January trying to work out and decide on my goals for the year, so some of them haven’t yet been acted on. But others have, so here we go!
What I’ve Accomplished
- I’m writing. This has by FAR been the most successful of my goals. I’ve written for 15 minutes every day, save one, when I just totally forgot. I’ve written five posts on my personal blog, four posts for the Student Leader Collective, and 22 entries in my journal. Not only am I accomplishing this goal, I’m loving it!
- I bought a gym membership, and I have gone probably about six times this month, which sounds unimpressive, but I’m impressed.
- I’m, uh, about 1/5 done my #52in52 challenge. Perhaps I may not have aimed quite high enough on that one.
- I’ve identified, and signed up for, a few different MOOCs that are sharing content that I want to learn about, and they’ve all just recently started.
- I attended PodCampHFX a few weeks ago, and learned about content strategy, some Twitter tips, and a whole lot about the ‘agency experience’. A #theNew52 experience, for sure!
- I submitted my Shinerama Campaign Advisor application. I ended up not getting a position, which I wasn’t particularly surprised by, and I’m ok with, but I almost backed out of even submitting the application, so this is a step in the right direction!
- I mailed my Christmas cards (in, like, mid-January, but whatever), and have actually been kind of astounded by the responses I’ve gotten from people. Yay!
- I devoted January to decorating/cleaning/organizing my apartment, and actually making my home a home. While I’m not 100% done yet, the plan is to be finished by the end of the weekend!
- For the first half of the month, I was really good at reminding myself of my #oneword365, and getting up to take action on something. I got a lot of things done that I’ve been putting off for awhile.
Where I’m Lacking
- I struggle with sleep/energy. A way-to-large percentage of the time, I fall asleep after work when I’m trying to read, write, etc. I simply feel energy-less, which makes it hard to pursue any of my goals. This isn’t a new problem, but it needs a new solution!
- My biggest problems with the gym are:I know rather little about it; and I have a very low tolerance for being tired. My typical strategy is to walk into the gym, and then decide what I’m going to do that day. I need to start mapping out plans ahead of time, so I can’t argue with myself!
- I have a terrible track record for engaging with MOOCs. I’m planning on mapping out a ‘MOOC schedule’ to ensure I’m learning what I want to be learning, and completing assignment/assessments when I should be!
- I haven’t really done anything about getting involved in my community. At all.
- I haven’t really done anything about any of the projects I want to work on either, beyond adding them to my to-do list. I did actually reach out to someone about one project, but I haven’t heard back or followed up, so I don’t think that’s an accomplishment.
- I’m still 100% a hermit. 100%.
- I’m absolutely terrible at this #theNew52 thing. I think this has a lot to do with the energy and hermit things, but I’ve only done one new thing in an entire month, instead of four. So much room for improvement.
- For the second half of the month, I kind of forgot about ACTION. I need to create a constant reminder I’ll see all the time.
I realize that the ‘accomplishments’ and ‘lacking’ lists are about the same length, but I feel as though January has been a success, and a good start to the new year.
February is a short month- only 28 days. Better not waste them!
How are you doing with your goals and resolutions so far? Making progress, falling behind? Let me know in the comments!